Day - 731

Wednesday, January 5, 2022

The day began with a strong Wednesday morning meeting at 6 a.m. with the guys. This will be a good year to share a few ideas I've been kicking around regarding race and racism from a white male perspective. I'm developing a language that I use over and over. The word "awareness" is a meaningful word to me. It's neutral yet captures a range of knowledge. When I look at the documentary, I was part of back in 1995, I'm looking at my baseline awareness of race in America. I'm looking at a nice, well-intentioned white male who doesn't have all that much to say about race, but has seen every Spike Lee film through 1995, read several books about race and watched Roots as a middle schooler. Other than that, not so much to say, compared to who I am today.  I have plenty to say. Plenty. Society has my back; law enforcement has my back.  I say that all the time. I'm stringing together these pithy, punchy lines of truth that I plan to use like electric jolts. Go back to your past so you can understand today. That's another one. The North fought a Civil War to abolish slavery, but had no problem whatsoever with white supremacy. That's another one. After the Civil War, white supremacy was the ointment that healed the nation, at the expense of black dignity. More coming this year.

My neighbor Bonnie has a new roommate, Evka from the former Yugoslavia.  I had breakfast at their house. So nice!



No comments:

Post a Comment